Networking using the Mains wiring

HauxtonPhil 18:01 17 Sep 2004

I know that this subject has been on this and the comsumer watch forum before, but time goes by... A client asked me today if he could have such a system as he had just read an article on the subject (somewhere) and thought it looked like a good idea. (His wife is actively opposing a mobile phone mast at the moment, so as you can imagine, a wireless network is out of the question !!!).
So does anyone have ANY experience of a network system which uses the mains wiring to carry the signals?

Lionheart ? 18:34 17 Sep 2004

Seems a possibility, not had any experience of this though. click here

mosfet 20:43 17 Sep 2004

I assume a signal is passed through the earth wires,which seems logical.

beeuuem 22:55 17 Sep 2004

More info click here and click here

MartinEdwards1248 23:50 17 Sep 2004

It is worth checking out the Linksys website as they have a lot of interesting information on this subject. click here.

TheGnome 19:48 30 Dec 2004

I spotted in PC World a kit for networking through the mains; it was reasonably cheap, though I forget the exact price, but on the packaging it stated that it would not work with a surge protector. Hope this snippet of info is of use.

slimbo51 19:56 30 Dec 2004

Could also have problems with other units starting up (Fridges, Pumps Ect) on the same phase, due to the high current surges generated.

Would need some form of isolation as well (Transformer or Optical).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?