networking using hub

conquistador 20:31 25 Apr 2005

I am currently using lan cards and a crossover cable so my son can share my internet connection. I find this a bit inconvenient as when i finish on my pc, i have to leave mine on so he continues to have the internet. It took a bit of setting up originally as i think i had a conflict with my pc. My question is:
1)Is it easy just to use a hub, connect my cable to the hub and use two feeds off the hub, 1 for each pc.
2) Will it automatically connect up and not mess all my connections up again.
3) I know the hub will need to be on all the time, but id rather that than leaving my pc on.
By the way both machines have windosw XP on, i get my internet from NTL 2mb broadband through a set top box, which goes from ethernet connection to a usb cable and plugs into a port on the front. I hope i have given enough information, if not please ask whatever is necessary.

howard60 21:42 25 Apr 2005

as long as both pcs are set up to use ntl then there should be no problem. I used to be on ntl with a set top box prior to moving and this is what I did.

conquistador 21:44 25 Apr 2005

Thanks howard 60, someone told me i would need a router not a hub, whats the difference.

howard60 21:22 28 Apr 2005

sorry for the delay - a hub sends all messages to everything that is connected. A router is more intelligent and sends messages only to the address in the message. That is a very basic description. If you only have 2 or 3 pieces of equipment it really will not make much difference. I think that a hub needs to be fed from a pc but a router can take its feed from the adsl modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?