Networking two PCs located in the same room

  TOPCAT® 15:37 17 Mar 2005

In readiness for my new computer, which I'll be ordering very soon now, can you kindly outline for me what I will need to make the connection between the two as wire less as possible.

I will print off your instructions as I'll definitely not remember everything! It would be nice if you could please recommend any additional hardware I will need to accomplish this.

My new PC will have the WindowsXP Pro OS and will most probably have a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe 'board:

Supports AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64


PCI Express Architecture

SATA 3Gb/s


Dual Gigabit LAN & AI NET2


My current PC is a 800Mhz Intel PIII on a 100Mhz FSB BX chipset 'board running the WinMe OS . Just one PCI slot is taken up with a SoundBlaster Value card. This computer will be used by the grandkids in my presence and, if possible, I want to share my broadband connection between the two machines, with the new PC being the 'master' connection. Also, to be able to share my Epson Stylus Colour 760 USB printer would be handy too.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice, guys. TC.

  FelixTCat 17:23 17 Mar 2005

I am assuming that your broadband connection is to a USB adsl modem attached to your present pc.

The easiest way to do this would be to set up an ad-hoc ethernet connection between the 2 pcs. This will require a PCI ethernet card in your ME computer and a CROSS-OVER ethernet cable long enough to connect the two pcs. You can obtain these very cheaply either from a local store or the eBuyer web site: card £4 click here cable £2.65 for 10 metres click here

Basically, you install the card in the ME pc, connect the cable between the 2 pcs and run the Networking Wizard on the pc attached to the internet; follow the instructions in the wizard.

  TOPCAT® 18:36 17 Mar 2005

Thank you for the response. Your assumption is correct regarding the modem. It is an Alcatel Speedtouch USB. TC.

  Forum Editor 18:50 17 Mar 2005

to be as wire-less as possible TC, and therefore my suggestion is that you go the whole hog and set yourself up with a proper wireless network.

You may well have the two machines in the same room now, but that could change - you might acquire a laptop, and it would be handy to sit in that lovely garden of yours on a summers's evening and enjoy the forum.

It would be pretty straighforward - buy a combined modem/router (Netgear or Belkin are my personal favourites right now) and a couple of wireless adapters - you can get excellent USB models which don't entail opening the computer cases. Initially you'll set the router up using the Ethernet cable that comes with it - you connect the router and one computer with this cable and download yourISP login details to the router's firmware. You only need to do this once, and thereafter the router will automatically eastablish the connection whenever you turn it on. If you like you could leave this cable connected to one of the computers, and just use a wireless adapter in the other one. Either computer will be able to use the internet without the other one being turned on. When both machines are running they'll share the broadband connection, as will any other computer within range that has a wireless adapter installed.

You would need to secure your network against unauthorised use, but that's pretty easy, and we could deal with it later, if you decided to go fully wireless.

Otherwise, just do as suggested by FelixTCat, and have a wired connection between the two machines. Using that method the computer connected to the modem would obviously need to be running for the other machine to be capable of using the Internet.

  FelixTCat 19:27 17 Mar 2005

OOPS Sorry - misread the wire-less part. My only excuse is that 1 wire is not too bad!

F.E. is quite correct (creep creep) and setting up wireless is pretty painless, but it is more expensive than wired and, if you are going to supervise their surfing, unnecessary unless you desire the extra flexibility F.E. notes.

You can get a good deal on the Belkin here: click here about £68 delivered. You will also need a wireless PCI adapter for the ME computer: click here for £18 (Belkin's own brand is £2 more).

They come with all the cables, software etc that you will need.

  TOPCAT® 20:24 17 Mar 2005

Thank you FE and FelixTCat . As I am nearly ready to splash out on a new computer - at last, I hear you say! - I do indeed want to go that extra step and build a wireless network. I feel the extra cost will be well worth it.

Now I know what kit I need I can go ahead and order that straight away and get an idea of what is involved before the PC arrives. Many thanks again. TC.

  TOPCAT® 21:36 17 Mar 2005

Can you please confirm that there should be no spurious emissions from this wireless setup when energised? Occasionally, her ladyship watches my Sky TV in the bedroom adjoining the proposed computer room. The TV set and digiboxes would be just about four or five feet away from the PC desks and I would hate to find myself in the dog - or should that be cat? - house if I was surfing just a few feet away and interfered with her viewing. She certainly loves her telly! :o) TC.

  FelixTCat 23:26 17 Mar 2005

Nah. Just tell her it's the mobile phone mast just down the road.

I haven't known wireless networking to cause any of these problems. Even if there is some interference, wireless networks have a choice of more than 10 channels, so you can change to a different channel very easily.

In a built-up area it's possible that there could be interference from another wireless network, but even that isn't very likely.

  Forum Editor 23:51 17 Mar 2005

There isn't likely to be a problem with TV interference from a wireless router.

Whilst on the subject however, I have recently had two cases where clients contacted me to say that they were experiencing interference patterns on terrestrial TV channels after we had set them up with wireless networks. Both clients were in the same area of London, and the coincicdence made me investigate further. It transpired that the interference was being caused by TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio), which is the new secure radio communications system being introduced for use by our emergeny services. TETRA refreshes the parts that other radio systems can't reach so to speak, and is planned to cover the UK by the middle of this year. Apparently TERA signals can disrupt TV transmissions in certain circumstances - usually where a TV amplifier is being used. The cure involves fitting a signal filter.

  TOPCAT® 00:59 18 Mar 2005

Pleased to hear there shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting to note your comments there FE, so much so that I've had a good read about TETRA. TC.

click here

  peter4076 15:58 18 Mar 2005

Just saving this to my postings for when I go wireless........Interesting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?