Networking through existing power lines

old china 13:36 05 Jul 2008

We have a 3-Com wireless router. To get maximum signal, both PCs in the house are hard-wired. Now we have a third PC in the house but it's not feasible to hard-wire it, so we have to use the Wifi. The signal strength is poor is keeps dropping. I can see 2 solutions: either get an antenna as a signal booster, or get the Homeplugs to get transmission using existing power line. The latter option seems a better choice.

I'm thinking of getting the ZyXEL PL-100 Powerline Ethernet Adaptor, but from reading the reviews, it doesn't work if the equipment are connected to the mains supply via a surge-protected extension lead.

I have just recently replaced all the extension leads by the surge-protected type, and feel reluctant to revert them.

Any ideas, any one?
Thanks.

ambra4 17:36 05 Jul 2008

Take a look at Netgear WGXB102 Range Extender Kit can provide you with wireless access

through any power outlet in your home, with no visible cables to interfere with your home décor

Download the pdf datasheet and take a read

click here

Where to buy

click here

dms_05 21:41 05 Jul 2008

Ideally the Homeplug should be directly inserted into the wall socket. I use Homeplug and can recommend it as a much easier and more reliable method of networking than WiFi. Personally I'd plug the Homeplug in before the protected extension.

old china 22:38 06 Jul 2008

I think I shall get the Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter. It seems to have lots of good reviews. I had almost given up the antennae option because the antennae on my 3-com router are not removable, but the Hawking one has USB connection, so it's ok for me.

I did think of getting a range extender, but the Hawking extender is out of stock at various places. There are the Belkin or netgear options but they don't seem to have many good reviews.

Hope I have (almost) made a good choice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?