Networking steps laid out

Legolas 17:59 25 Feb 2003

I have noticed in the past few weeks the increasing number of posts concerning problems with setting up a small home network, this seems to be becoming more popular and accessible for the home user to do. In the light of its popularity and the problems encountered I think it would be a good idea for PCA to run an online series of articles dealing with the set up of small home networks much like the articles that were published a while ago on building your own PC, this would give everyone interested in this operation a definitive answer to their queries and a place of reference should information be needed or problems arise.

recap 18:03 25 Feb 2003

Good idea Legolas.

howard60 22:20 25 Feb 2003

lets hope they do it soon and include internet connection sharing - this either works first time no problems or it is almost impossible to get going - I get more help calls each week on this than anything else.

Legolas 07:09 26 Feb 2003

Any thoughts on it FE

Forum Editor 07:40 26 Feb 2003

Yes, it's an excellent idea. So good in fact that we published a 4 page feature - called 'Networking made easy' in the June 2001 edition of the magazine
click here.

Then there was 'Wire-free networking in the May 2002 edition - 4 more pages
click here

And 'XP networks come home', a 7 page feature on setting up a home network with Windows XP - that one was in the Januray 2003 edition
click here

Finally, there was a 4 page buying guide on wireless networking in the last (Spring) edition
click here

No doubt we'll be covering the subject again in the future, but for the time being I don't think we've done so badly.

Legolas 07:47 26 Feb 2003

OK so you have caught me out I am not a regular reader of PCA now, so it is probably these articles that started the trend in home networking and generated the increase in networking related problems in the helproom so you are to blame for seeing into the future and realising what computer users would be up to, good idea though ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone