Networking problems - not seeing each other

Mumcookie 17:53 13 Apr 2009

We have set up a network at home. Both my Son and I appear to be on the network and can connect to the internet but we cannot see each other can anyone help please ?

wazza597 16:45 14 Apr 2009

Hi,

Do you have any firewall's enabled on these machines (inculding windows firewall)? This is normally the cause of not being able to access a machine on the same network as you.

dawood 16:52 17 Apr 2009

Ensure there is no firewall blocking (Windows firewall, antivirus firewall, etc) on computers, and both computers can ping each other. After that you just need to enable file sharing correctly to share files in same workgroup. Have a look on following articles to help you more:

Simple File Sharing in Windows Vista click here

Password Protected File Sharing in Windows Vista click here

Simple File Sharing in Windows XP click here

Share File with User/Group Permission in Windows XP Pro click here

Hope able to help you..

Mumcookie 15:46 18 Apr 2009

I do have a firewalls on the computers but both have been set to have exemptions to file sharing is that not enough ? Also, what do you mean by both computers being able to "ping" each other ? Sorry to be dumb but I am not used to all this young computer speak.

dawood 15:57 21 Apr 2009

Having exemptions to file sharing on firewall is fine, but maybe you can test by totally disable firewall first. Both computers can ping each other: make sure you can ping computerB from computerA, and also ping computerA from computerB.

Mumcookie 19:35 21 Apr 2009

I have now disabled the firewalls on both computers but I am still not understanding by saying can both computers "ping" eaxh other.....sorry.

Mumcookie 19:48 21 Apr 2009

Hi I have now discovered how to ping and we cannot ping each other, we both get a timed out message.........does that help you solve my problem ?

Marskeman 18:10 26 Apr 2009

I'm in the same boat, we need help on this guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?