Networking Problems

L85A1_marksman 12:41 14 May 2009

Hi there,

I'm currently having problems at my shop with networking 2 computers.

The old till computer packed it in as the hard drive died so we had to get a new computer in and i have been setting up all the till software etc.

The only problem is the network. it's very temperamental. Mainly with the Internet Connection, every now and then i will get basically a dial up window saying 'connect to' with the options that are in the network connections screen which show up as Broadband and LAN as shown here:
click here

The Computers connect to the internet via a Router. it's a D link one and we aren't using the wireless option.

Now i just wanted to know if there was a resource i can use to check that it is set up properly as it's completely random as to when it decides to stop working and try to connect using the PAYG BT broadband or the PPPOE. usually pressing cancel does the trick and it starts working again. Recently something different happened where i was getting an error message to do with the phone connection in which i had to restart the router to get it to work.

I guess im a bit of a rookie so all help is really appreciated and i hope i have made my problem understandable!

If you need any more info about the problem just say! I'm totally confused by this problem!

brundle 18:30 14 May 2009

OS version? Has the problem PC ever been connected to the internet using any method other than the wired router? Are there any left ofter software installations from previous ISPs? Any left-over network connections or Dial-Up settings?
Ppress Windows + R, type

ncpa.cpl

press return, for the Network Connections panel in either XP or Vista - what items are showing?

brundle 18:30 14 May 2009

I mean "left over" of course...

mgmcc 20:55 14 May 2009

Also, go to "Control Panel > Internet Options", click the Connections tab and ensure the option "Never dial a connection" is selected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017