networking problem

ged75 18:38 18 Oct 2007

Hi there everyone.

I am setting up a a wireless network for a friend in an old rectory. The router setup went smooth as ever, but the problem is the walls in this place are very thick, I'm talking 2ft thick brick walls.

I have tried to tell her that she would be better off running a few cables through the house, but she insists she wants it to be wireless. I have told her that it is probably going to be expensive, but she doesn't really care.

Now I have explored a few different avenues concerning access points, repeaters, high gain antennas and wall-plugged range extenders, but am not sure which is going to be the best way to go about it.

I have ruled out wall-plugged extenders as there are fuse boxes all over the house and believe they have to be on the same ring.

I also don't think that high gain antennas are going to be up to the task.

So I think I'm going to have to use wireless access points or wireless repeaters. To be honest I'm not sure what the difference is. I don't think
one will be enough either because the walls are thick everywhere in the house, so I think I may need two or three.

I would be grateful if some of you could give me your opinions on which way this problem would best be solved.

Thanks for reading
ged

ps.just for the record the router is a netgear D834G wireless modem router.

Chegs ®™ 19:09 18 Oct 2007

I have the same router and its been a royal pain since I switched from a 2Mb service to Max(upto 8Mbs)losing sync repeatedly.That doesnt concern you though.

The wireless range on these routers is very good,I have setup a neighbour to share my BB and we're just using the little aerials on the PC card & router over nearly 100m and several "ordinary" housewalls and there's been odd times with a loss of reception caused by perhaps groups of teenagers loitering on the corner or lousy weather but I reckon a high gain aerial either here or there might cure that.

ged75 19:33 18 Oct 2007

I don't think the high gain aerials will cure this problem. Thanks for posting though.

ged

ambra4 20:19 18 Oct 2007

How to Increase Signal Strength In Building with thick walls
Look at these options

1 - Replacing all antennas with a hi gain antenna router and wireless Extenders
If you use 1 Router & 4 Extenders buy 5 Hi-Gain antennas
click here
2 – Install a Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender

click here
3 - Check this posting
click here
I have use both of these products and never had any problems with the Hawking equipment it just sit in the corner and work, you will have to upgrade the firmware in
Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender to get the max range

ged75 21:17 18 Oct 2007

Hi ambra4, thanks for replying.

They may be solution to my problem. Could you tell me if all extenders have to be in range of the wireless router, or can they pick the signal up from another extender?

Again, thanks for the reply
ged

ambra4 04:41 19 Oct 2007

No the extender do not have to get the signal from the router the extender will pick up the signal from the router or the extender and increases the range and signal strength in that area, so that it would work like a mobile cell system, the signal would overlap each other once the same SSID name is used

So that as you move around the building the signal strength would change as it find the extender with the higher signal strength

Download the Hawking Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender Data Sheet and you will see what I am talking about.

If fact you could cover the whole street if you wanted to

click here

ambra4 04:55 19 Oct 2007

Also with using hi-gain antennas on all the equipment the connect speed will be constant at 54Mbps

One problem that you might have is that any wireless network close by could be over loaded by your signal strength so use a channel # not normally like 4 or 8 and make sure that it is secured after you set it up

ged75 10:43 19 Oct 2007

ok thanks ambra4.

As you seem to be very familiar with these products, I hope you don't mind me asking, how do I go about setting up a second extender.

Do I do it exactly the same as the first? Will just one network appear that I can extend or will there two since I already have one extender setup?.

Really sorry to bug you with these questions, but I really do appreciate you helping me.

ged

ambra4 11:51 19 Oct 2007

“I already have one extender set-up” Is it a hawking or another brand what make and model #

Yes you have to set up all the extenders the same,

Remember that the Original SSID must match the SSID of your original network

The channel number of the extender must also match that of your original network.

Go to this site and download all the downloads starting from Tutorials

click here

ged75 20:10 19 Oct 2007

I don't have an extender setup yet,I didn't phrase my last post correctly, sorry about the confusion.

What I was trying to say was, after I setup my first extender and then connect to it through one of the laptops, will I see two seperate networks? or will it just show up as the one network.

I hope that was a bit clearer.

And thanks again for help.

ged

ambra4 21:17 19 Oct 2007

That ok for a second there you had me totally confused.

No you will have to set up all extenders via the laptop, you will only see 1 network, which is the SSID that you set up in the router and in each extenders,

There is an In SSID and an Out SSID so that both names would be the SSID Name that you have in the router

Take a read of the manual on how to set up the extender

Chapter 2, 3, 4, this would give you a good idea on how it works

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?