Networking over large distances

Coaster3 10:34 07 Feb 2003

I am soon to move to a large bungalow. The layout is such that my present network (4 computers) will be somewhat impractical.

The distance between the host computer on NTL broadband and the furthest computer will be about 55 feet.

If I went onto a wireless system (which I know nothing about) would it be reliable at that distance through 5 walls and what components would I need?

All computers are running Win XP

Thanks in advance.

jazzypop 11:46 07 Feb 2003

It's impossible to predict. The thickness and composition of the walls, other furniture and other sources of signal interference are just some of the unknown variables.

If you can find a retailer who will let you try the kit first, or will give a guarantee that it will work....

What would definitely work over that range is Ethernet cable. If you have stud walls, make a small hole at the bottom of the wall, drop the wire down from the loft and fish it out through the hole with a coat hanger.

For solid walls, consider running it down the side of a doorway or a corner of the room, or under the floorboards if it is a suspended floor.

Coaster3 15:47 07 Feb 2003

Thanks

MartinT-B 16:03 07 Feb 2003

Frankly, it should work in a bungalow.

With a 55' cable you are going to need some pretty serious wiring and possibly a repeater, especially if going through 5 walls.

If you bought a wireless hub and cards for the 4 PCs it will be about the same price as wiring the bungalow but without the mess.

copied from click here

Range/Coverage
The distance over which RF waves can communicate is a function of product design (including transmitted power and receiver design) and the propagation path, especially in indoor environments. Interactions with typical building objects, including walls, metal, and even people, can affect how energy propagates, and thus what range and coverage a particular system achieves. Most wireless LAN systems use RF because radio waves can penetrate many indoor walls and surfaces. The range (or radius of coverage) for typical WLAN systems varies from under 100 feet to more than 500 feet. Coverage can be extended, and true freedom of mobility via roaming, provided through microcells

Coaster3 17:38 07 Feb 2003

Many thanks; I'm learning!

€dstow 19:02 07 Feb 2003

If you go on to the BT site click here , At the bottom is the blurb about wireless networking. Could be of interest/help to you.

"BTopenworld Wireless Network
Share your broadband connection with other PCs in the home. Surf the internet from the garden. Lose those messy wires..."

€d

jazzypop 20:05 07 Feb 2003

ßéŁâ is absolutely correct. 55ft is a short hop for Ethernet cabling. I really don't see where MartinT-B gets his information about 55ft (less than 20m) requiring "some pretty serious wiring and possibly a repeater".

My practical experience with installing wireless networks, using Linksys, Belkin and Netgear products, is that 55ft and 5 walls could present a problem for WiFi 'b'. This is reinforced by the information from the WiFi alliance at click here

Standard network cards are about £12-14 each, standard Ethernet cables (pre-made) should cost no more than £1/m, less if you make them yourself.

Most wireless adaptors are in the region of £40-60 each, and wireless routers are still between 30-50% more expensive than conventional routers.

Obviously, prices are coming down all the time, but wired is still cheaper than wireless, especially over the distances you are describing.

As I said before, it may well work, albeit as slowly as 1Mb/s - but do not purchase kit that you cannot return, in case it doesn't.

Coaster3 19:40 08 Feb 2003

Many thanks for the info. I have all the PCs networked at the moment using ethernet cable and a 4 port router. I didn't realise that the cables could be used at that distance.

I will buy some longer cables as there is no problem with routing them as all the rooms have cellars under them.

Thanks for your trouble everyone.

Regards

PS Having sold my house at the coast to buy the bungalow, I suppose I really ought to change my name!

-pops- 06:32 09 Feb 2003

Inlander?

Brian

Coaster3 09:36 06 May 2003

Moving to the bungalow tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Regards

Legolas 14:26 06 May 2003

The limit for ethernet cable on a network is 100m without the use of a repeater so you should have no problem using cable to network your system together, it will probably be more reliable than WiFi.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?