Networking but Not Networking ???

Lady Lara 22:52 05 Sep 2004

I currently have 2 PCs linked via crossover cable. If I add a third pc cani not just add another 10/100 pc car to my machine and link that 3rd PC to it? Am not bothered about PC 2 and 3 seeing each other just PC 1 + 2 and PC 1 + 3. Will it cause conflictions??

Have thought about networking but had this profoundly strange idea!!!

keith-236785 23:18 05 Sep 2004

to link three or more pc's together the best way would be to use a hub, but for this you would need straight (sometimes called Patch) network cables which means replacing what you already have working.

i dont know if it is possible to network another (third) pc by just adding another network card to the main pc (pc1) and using a crossover cable as you have done to pc2. maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in and elaborate (think its spelt right lol).

if you are looking for a setup which would allow pc3 to access the internet without other pc's being on then you would need a router. kinda gets confusing dont it!!

good luck, just wait a while for some more advice

Strawballs 23:19 05 Sep 2004

Don't know I've never thought of that before have always gone down the route of a hub for that scenario but i'm sure someone will be able to enlighten you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?