Networking my Sony Blu Ray

snowy30 01:03 27 May 2010

Hi, it's been a fair while since I posted on here last. Could someone give me some advice on home networking, please? Would I be better off with a 'Switch' or a 'Hub'? I want to connect my new Sony Blu-Ray 370 player to my broadband connection, the player is downstairs and the modem is upstairs so I would be needing a wireless connections, but which one would you recommend? The transfer rate needs to be at least 100Mbps from what I can make out from the manual. I would be needing an adapter too.

Thanks

mgmcc 08:02 27 May 2010

A network "switch" should always be used in preference to a "hub" but these are for *WIRED* ethernet networking.

If you are going to connect the player to the internet "wirelessly", and require a data transfer speed of at least 100Mbps, then you need to use an 802.11n Router and an 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter in the player both of which support a 300Mbps connection. Some 802.11n hardware is only 150Mbps which, in practice, may not deliver 100Mbps. You might have to use a dedicated Sony USB adapter in the player.

Having said that, I cannot see why the network needs to be "at least 100Mbps" when most people's internet connection is unlikely to be even 10Mbps.

snowy30 14:15 27 May 2010

Well, I was going by the LAN (100) for wired networking. I then assume it needs a 100Mbps connection for both wired and wireless connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache