Networking Media centre with laptop xp pro

User-7BF0BA46-9383-43F9-A74EB865DFA586D5 17:34 07 Apr 2006

hope someone can help me with this problem.

Am using works laptop (with authority to network with home desktop so that I can use proper keyboard and large screen).

Works laptop is on a domain network.

home pc is a media centre (latest updates etc) but on trying to establish a connection, error comes up you do not have permission etc etc.

connecting to another desktop in the house (xp pro) no problems - it asks for user name and password when clicking on the network connection for the laptop and then lets me in. Cannot use this pc when working at home as its in use by someone else.

Media centre does not. Am told that its because I need xp pro on both machines and media centre is basically xp home. If I load xp pro over the top, I lose the media centre function which I don't want to do.

Can this be cured? Hope someone can help

thanks

AndySD 20:47 07 Apr 2006

Make sure you log into the media canter with a password.

Try connecting then then use the network connection wisard on the media center.

But I believe click here is your best option.

Found this on the MS site

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?
While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

many thanks, got it going,

needed to change log on settings on media centre, involved changing the workgroup name to that of the domain (company domain) and using same username and password.

Now works fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone