Networking issue - Nice challenge!

sden 12:57 29 Sep 2008

Hi folks,

Here is the configuration I would like to set up:

Internet -> Cable modem(Dlink DCM-202) -> Router (Dlink DSL-2640T)
--> C1 (vista)
--> C2 (Mac)

However, it's not possible to have internet on both C1 and C2 computers at the same time. I made sure the router supported NAT and DHCP and many different configurations (IP adress automatic/forced + different settings on the router) but I always end to the same result: the first computer that connects to the network will acquire this adress:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e414:e337:715c:44f1%14
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 202.73.120.159
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 202.73.120.1

And the second one gets a local ip adress.

Whereas I would like the router to use this IP and distribute local ip adresses (192.168.1.XXX) to C1 and C2 using DHCP as explained on many websites.

May you please advice?

By the way, after changing network settings, is it better to reset the routeur or the cable modem first or it does not matter?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers.

ambra4 13:20 29 Sep 2008

“Is it better to reset the router or the cable modem first or it does not matter?”

Power of ALL equipment router, cable modem, computer, power up modem only wait until all light stop flashing, than power on router wait until router is up and than power up the computer

Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in Windows Vista will improve

your internet speed

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

sden 13:33 29 Sep 2008

Thanks for the advices but this wont fix the internet problem.

Do you know how should I set up each computer?

Thanks in advance.

brundle 14:45 29 Sep 2008

Check the DHCP scope on the router and if needed restrict it to the range you want addresses allocated from.

brundle 14:47 29 Sep 2008

D-Link site suggest the 2640T is an ADSL router, you have it in a cable system - is that right?

ambra4 14:59 29 Sep 2008

Brundle - you are right about the modem which sden cannot use on a cable system only on a ASDL phone line system

The DSL-2640T wireless ADSL router is a versatile, high-speed remote router for home and the small office.

Sden you need to use this model

D-Link Wireless G Cable /DSL Router with 4 port switch

click here

sden 15:13 29 Sep 2008

Do you really think it could be the problem?

My DSL modem DSL-2640T can normally also be used as a routeur. So if I plug the ethernet cable coming from the cable modem in the routeur, it should act as a normal router, isn't it?

Actually, I had an ADSL connection before and switched to a cable connection. So I bought the cable modem and planed to used my DSL routeur as a routeur ...

brundle 15:48 29 Sep 2008

No you need a cable router as linked to by ambra4. You're plugging both your WAN (internet) and LAN (private network) connections into the LAN-only ports on the router. A cable router will have a separate WAN port for you to plug the cable modem into. An ADSL modem/router is expecting to receive its WAN connection via the RJ11 socket.

sden 15:57 29 Sep 2008

I think that it s indeed the problem. Thanks for your help guys!

As a temporary solution, may I connect the modem directly to the PC and then share internet with the Mac?

brundle 16:21 29 Sep 2008

I believe so, with ICS. Disable it before connecting to a new router - it sets the PC to a static IP address.

click here

And you need a free network card to plug the Mac into, unless you can connect the modem/PC with a USB cable or you have wireless.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?