Networking Help Required

brianwc 20:13 22 Mar 2007

I am looking for some help linking my 2 computers. I have an Evesham desktop running Windows XP and a Toshiba laptop running Vista. Both are currently connected to my Vigin Media broadband using a netgear wireless router. The laptop is wireless enabled the desktop is using a netgear wireless adapter. What I wan't to do is access the files on my desktop using my Laptop.

I am not exactly great with PC's but i did manage to set up my wireless network so some easy to underatand help would be great.

Thanks, Brian

STREETWORK 20:18 22 Mar 2007

If you are sharing the same network then all you would need to do on the PC is right click the folder you want to share, select the sharing tab and then select the option to share with other users on this network...

Ashrich 21:48 22 Mar 2007

Run the Network wizard on the Xp machine , then in Vista go to control panel/Network and sharing/ on the left hand side look for " Connect to a Network " run that as well , making sure they are both in the same workgroup ( use MSHOME , it's easier ) give both a distinctive name , finish the wizards and look in My Network Places ( XP ) Network and Sharing ( Vista ) to see if they can see each other . In XP you should have turned on " File and Printer sharing , in Vista you will have a series of options for things you wish to enable on the Network . In Windows Explorer ( both OS'S ) right click on whatever you wish to exchange between PC's and select " share " .

Ashley

brianwc 16:52 27 Mar 2007

Thanks for your responses STREETWORK/Ashrich however I am lost. I have tried to follow Ashrich instructions and could not get either PC or Laptop to see each other. Any other ideas would be greatfully received.

Ashrich 19:31 27 Mar 2007

Try temporarily disabling both firewalls and see if it makes a difference ...

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache