Networking failure

disjointeddreamer 21:47 28 Mar 2004

I am currently trying to network 2 computers. I bought 2 new network cards and a network cable. It is the phone style cards & cable. I have a built in network card on one system *i'll call it system a from now on* which is currently running the cable modem. I fitted one of the 2 new network cards into system A and the computer recognised it and installed the drivers. When I plugged the network cable in, the lights did not come on and flash. I tried plugging the cable modem into the new card and they did. I then tried swapping the cable around, and still no light. System B had an old network card in it, which flashed when the network cable was plugged in. Back on system A, I tried plugging the network cable into the on-board network card, and this did not flash either. So 2 network cards won't flash, while the old one on system B did. I then tried swapping System B's card into system A, and vise versa. The old network card flashed in system A and the new one in system be did not. I also tried the other new network card in both systems which failed to work with the network cable.

Any suggestions? I hope that all makes sense, it was really confusing to explain. And perhaps the most unusual problem I have experienced with networks. I don't have another cable to try at the moment but can try getting it exchanged during the week.

Cheers guys!

GrahamP 22:02 28 Mar 2004

The lights on a NIC only come on when there is an end to end connection ie plugged in and machines switched on at both ends.

I'm not quite sure from your description if that was the case.

Second point is that you must use a crossover cable unless you have a switching device in between.

Robin0759 22:03 28 Mar 2004

have you checked "device manager" on both computers to see if the both systems recognise the cards. Also right click on the network card entries to bring up "properties" to confirm the cards are working and there are no IRQ conflicts.
I presume you are connecting peer to peer without a Hub, and therefore the cable you are using is a "crossover" cable, and not a one way Cat5 cable.

LastChip 22:05 28 Mar 2004

From your post, which I think is quite clear cosidering what you are trying to explain, I am assuming you are connecting these network cards directly to each other, and not via a hub or other device.

If this is so, can you confirm you are using a crossover cable and NOT a straight through (or patch) cable?

If you are unsure, you can normally see the wires through the transparent plastic plugs. Hold them the same way around and to the light and confirm two of the wires are connected to different pins on each plug. This is the "crossover" part of the cable. You MUST use a crossover cable for a direct connection.

Paranoid Android 22:23 28 Mar 2004

If I read you right, you have 2 network devices in machine A, one goes to your cable modem and the other to your second PC.

You need to check that you have a networking adapter set up in Windows for the cable modem, and another for your LAN. This may help click here

Marvin

disjointeddreamer 00:34 29 Mar 2004

I think it's just a plain patch cable. If I bought a network hub and another patch cable would that work? or is it just as easy to get a crossover cable and connect straight between the 2?

LastChip 00:48 29 Mar 2004

If you don't intend to expand further in the foreseeable future, go with the crossover cable. If more machines are likely to join the LAN, then a hub and another patch cable may be a better option.

disjointeddreamer 00:52 29 Mar 2004

I think I will probably go for the hub and cable option. Cheers people!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?