Networking with CAT6 UTP cable?

Emett 20:48 26 Feb 2006

Hello everyone,

I am new to networking. I have moved into a house which has a Belkin CAT6 UTP cable between two rooms. The previous owner said he had two PC's connected with gigabit cards?

1.)I wonder if I can use the existing cable to connect two Windows XP PC's? I have looked at buying a Netgear DG834 or 834GT since I can't decide if it is worth paying the extra to go wireless in the future.

2.)I have a 2MB broadband BT connection, my ISP is Tiscali. If i can go gigabit too, is it worth it? - The PC's are used for online FSP gaming, and one PC (away from modem connection) is Windows Media Centre PC.

Many thanks.

terryf 21:55 26 Feb 2006

I have a Dg834 router and two PC's connected to the router, the router connects to the internet. All done with cables. It was a doddle to set up and XP file and printer sharing works fine.If you go wireless there is the remote possibility that someone could use your internet connection. I am not sure but I believe wired connections work at 100mbs but wireless is slower at 54mbs. I expect some-one will know this. The router is transparent as far as connection to [email protected] from either machine, I leave the router switched on all the time so only have to switch on either machine to go on the web

phono 22:09 26 Feb 2006

I too have a DG834, excellent bit of kit with no problems in the 3 plus years I have owned it, rock solid Internet and Network connections and an extremely reliable hardware SPI firewall.

Now the downside, the DG834 will not, as far as I know, support 1 Gigabit connections, it is a 10/100 unit which I believe Netgear claim will support up to 200 Mbps. Your Gigabit cards would still connect but not at 1 Gigabit speeds.

As terryf said, wireless tends to be a good bit slower and is also potentially less secure, unless you employ encryption, if you do not envisage getting any other computers I would go for the wired option, I personally would also go for the fastest option possible, including a 1 Gigabit router.

Emett 23:10 26 Feb 2006

Guys thanks for the replies.

I think from your advice I will stick with the wired option and buy a DG834 and forget wireless. But I am still not sure about the gigabit side of things or what it really means in terms of speed on my 2mb BB connection? I understand I will also need a gigabit switch and Netgear do one called a GS605.

Also I really need to know that if I don't go down the gigabyte road then will the DG834 and 2x FA311's work with my CAT6 UTP cable?

Thanks.

Emett 23:43 26 Feb 2006

Just double checked the spec of the cable, it is actually called a 'High Performance Category 6 UTP Patch Cable' The Belkin no = A3L980b10M or the link to the actual cable is listed below.

The Belkin product info states:
The RJ45 High Performance Category 6 UTP Patch Cable is the perfect performance upgrade. Used to replace any Cat 5 cable that fails to support 100 Base-T or Gigabit Ethernet.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?