networking advice?

westdudes 23:28 26 Jan 2004

hi ive just built a new computer to run along side my laptop, i want to use them as a network when i'm at home, for example...using the same internet connection which is aol broadband (oh how i regret it) and also to transfer files to and from each one.

they both run home edition microsoft windows xp and both really top spec computers.

im self taught in the subject of building computers but have never done a network before so if someone could help i'd be greatful...

ps...i was recommended wireless networking.....i got told something about they can transfer faster????

annywayz sorry about the essay...thanks for reading

LastChip 23:57 26 Jan 2004

Wireless networking is SLOWER then conventional Ethernet cards. It also introduces security issues, as anyone within range, could potentially access your machines, so enabling encryption is a must.

As far as I know, AOL does not support Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) so click here for a thread that explains a work around.

Before attempting to share the internet, it is essential you get the network working properly first. Look at XP's Help Files, which will explain how to use the Network Wizard to set the network up.

The cheapest option would be, two network cards (if they are not already fitted) and a CROSSOVER cable to connect each card directly to each other. Many modern machines have a network capability built into the motherboard, so check your manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone