NETWORKING

yorkieval 08:27 14 Feb 2003

Hello everybody, Is it possible to network 2 computers one with Windows 98se, and the other with Windows xp home.....Thanks in advance Val....

Giant68 08:59 14 Feb 2003

Yes, just run the network setup wizard on the XP machine, create a floppy as per instructions and run the floppy on the 98se machine.

Giant68

yorkieval 09:06 14 Feb 2003

Thanks very much giant...Val

wint 09:27 14 Feb 2003

I have never got the setup wizard to work. I have tried it a few times and it either stops half way or simply doesn't work. It is fairly easy to do it manually although frequent re-boots during setup do seem to help (after a couple of setting changes).

Have a look at Home Net Help click here where they have some good tutorials. Other useful networking sites: click here and click here

If it's just 2 machines, from my limited experience, all you should need is a network card in each PC and a crossover network cable.

This type of network you will find referred to as "peer to peer". A crossover cable is different to a straight through patch cable as some (but not all) of the 8 wires are crossed over in the plugs. The ready made cables and network cards are available from Maplins, PC World, B&Q & a lot of computer shops.

Did the wizard work by the way?

Good luck.

Giant68 16:34 14 Feb 2003

Wint

Giant68 16:34 14 Feb 2003

Wint

Giant68 16:36 14 Feb 2003

Sorry, hit the wrong button!
I had no trouble with the wizard, setup two PC's with XP and one laptop with 98se on the same network.

Giant68

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?