Networking

Jimbobsn 19:45 14 May 2007

I am on Broadband with AOL Silver, I want to network the other PC we have, I know nothing about any of the networking tools or jargan.
Could someone help me and tell me what need to set it up useing wireless conection, ie what do I need to buy in order to do this and how I go about please.
In plain english please because as I said all this is alian to me.

Many thanks.

Woolwell 20:47 14 May 2007
  Meshuga 20:52 14 May 2007

There is a dedicated forum for networking. If you look to the left on this page you will see a list. Click on " Networking".

Jimbobsn 21:23 15 May 2007

Thank for your reply. I still need help. I have a BT Voyager190 ADSL modem on a BT line with AOL, I run Windows XP home. Is this type of modem a router or do I have to get one of those as well? What other bits will I need to go with it and if I dont need a router what bits do I need.

Again sorry to sound thick about this but I cant seem to get head round this.

Jimbob

Dipso 21:47 15 May 2007

If you have this click here it can only be used to connect one PC to the net. You could perhaps use a method called Internet Connection Sharing ICS but you have to have the main PC switched on to use the second PC.

I would advise you get one of the AOL supported wireless routers click here e.g. the Netgear DG834G and then you can take advantage of the "Easy installer" available for the product.

If the PC's aren't wireless enabled you will need to buy either a wireless PCI card or a wireless USB dongle. This package contains both the router and the dongle for a very good price click here

Dipso 21:49 15 May 2007

The first link should have been click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?