networking

orihuela 13:14 15 Oct 2006

What is the easiest and most straightforward way of connecting a desktop pc and a laptop to use in different rooms. I am getting BT broadband connection next week.

Forum Editor 14:25 15 Oct 2006

2. Buy a wireless network card for your PC (or don't, if it will be within a few feet of the router).

3. Buy a wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop (if it doesn't already have WiFi built in).

4. Plug the router into the ADSL telephone line (via the microfilter that comes with the BT broadband kit).

5. Plug it into a power supply.

5. Connect one of the computers (it doesn't matter which one) to the router, using the cable that comes in the box, and set up the router according to the makers' instructions.

6. Install the wireless adapters in the computers as necessary.

7. Either remove the cable between router and computer if you've added a wireless adapter, or leave it connected if you haven't.

That's all - the router will automatically log you into your BT broadband connection, every time it's turned on, and it will broadcast the connection to any computer within range.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:28 15 Oct 2006

8. Make sure you secure your network signal using WAP.

orihuela 14:45 15 Oct 2006

Thank you for the instructions. Just checked what equipment I will be getting from BT and I have found that I will get a WIRED 220V router free. So do I really need to spend more to upgrade to a wireless or will the wired one do the job?

orihuela 15:57 15 Oct 2006

Dear Forum Editor

Just noticed No. 7 on your instructions on how to network a pc to a laptop. Sorry to have asked the question on my previous post re wired router. Do I understand it then that the procedure will be the same with a wired router?

Thanks in anticipation!

Forum Editor 00:03 16 Oct 2006

including wireless models, have LAN ports at the back, into which you can plug network cables. That means you can run a wired network via a wireless router if you wish, or a mixed wired and wireless network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone