Networking 2 Pcs via crossover cable. Help please!

Gso3 16:32 28 Jan 2006

Hey everybody I really hope you can help me with a problem I am having.

I have 2 pcs connected by a crossover cable, they are both running xp pro. Lets call them Pc1 and Pc2. The reason I want to set up a network is to share the internet connection.

"Pc1" is the host machine, it can see "Pc2" in the workgroup but cannot view its shared files... UNTIl "Pc2" is restarted. When it is restarted "Pc1" can access its shared files for about 1 minute then I get the error:
"The server pc2 could not be found on the network."

When I try to pink pc2 it says "request timed out"

Pc2 can access the shared files of Pc1 at anytime.

Pc1 is the machine with the internet connection.

The firewall is disabled for the LAN on both pcs and enabled for the internet connection.

Pc2 cant access the internet via the shared connection on Pc1.

Last point: Im not sure about logging in to the network. No tutorial I have read mentions if I have to do this.

Please help guys Im just about ready to tear my hair out.

mgmcc 18:53 28 Jan 2006

Have you actually enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on the internet connection (modem connection) in the "host" PC?

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing”, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC.

If you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “Host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

howard63 20:39 28 Jan 2006

try setting pc2 to use a known ip address 192 168 0 2 with gateway as 192 168 0 1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?