Networking 2 computers - what kind of cable?

  hs82 20:13 11 Jul 2003

This is probably a really dumb question but I am new to networks. I want to connect two computers directly together via a network for the purposes of file sharing and multiplayer games. There's no need for any internet connection sharing or anything like that. I've been told (if it's wrong please correct me) that it's possible just to connect a cable from the network card of one PC to the network card of the other. But I was warned that there are two types of cable, "cross" and "normal", although my colleague wasn't able to remember which one I should use. Can anyone help me please?

  bremner 20:20 11 Jul 2003

You need a crossover cable click here

  jazzypop 20:20 11 Jul 2003

You need an Ethernet cable, with an RJ45 plug on each end, wired as 'crossover'.

Commonly called a crossover network cable.

See click here for more info, especially the 'let's make it simple' page

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)