Networked External hard drive - 1TB

Wavey75 12:50 20 Mar 2008

I have a western digital my book world drive and I backed my data up to it form my lasptop into a directory called "data".

I then continued to do a system restore on my hp vista laptop and after the formatting and image loading had finished, I installed the software to access my network drive to create this directory as a share, so anyone could access it.

I called the share 'data' and it called it 'DATA' in the wd access software, but now when I go to the drive there are 2 data directories, one called 'data' the other called 'DATA'.
The really wierd thing is BOTH DIRECTOIES AER EMPTY!

where has my 50GB of data gone?

Please could someone help - I know these drives/boxes have some sort of linux setup in the drive box, but I don't know anything about linux.

If I delete the share, will I be able to see my files I orginally backed up to the physical directory 'data'?

Please help, this had all my college work on it for assignments due soon and I can't duplicate them because there's not enough time.

Wavey75 10:10 28 Mar 2008

Ok, no one got this?

Well, after many days of stress and waiting for deliveries, I have resolved this now.

If anyone is interested I had to buy another drive that could hold and store all of my data on the 1TB drive, plug it into the existing drive and copy everything across.

While I was checking the drive, for some as yet unknown reason all my data was sudenly there!

Myonly cunclusion is that I used a idfferent pc to access both drives, but also a different account setup.

Apart from that, it's all fixed now. phew!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?