network Xp and ME

old-timer 18:32 07 Nov 2003

I know this subject has been mentioned several times before, but a little clarification would be appreciated.

I wish to share Telewest cable broadband and at least one printer between my two machines running XP and ME. I know I need a router, and have looked at the US Robotics, mainly because it has a print sharer on board.

However, on talking to a PC World guy(I Know!!!),
he informed me that it is not easy, and in fact that Telewest do not encourage internet sharing.

I have seen several threads which imply that it is a doddle, Is this correct.

Also a small point.. How is incoming E-Mail handled.

Help would be appreciated.

spikeychris 18:41 07 Nov 2003

Email is handled in the normal way, you can set one machine to allow incoming if you wish...makes sense sometimes if you only have the one account, its pointless feeding both machines. Just take out the POP from the server tab on one machine.

click here for a rundown

wiznyme 18:48 07 Nov 2003

You don't need a router, depending on what your looking for you can connect them with 1 crossover cable, 2 patch leads and a hub or 2 wi-fi access points.

Legolas 19:01 07 Nov 2003

The PC World guy is either looking for work or he does'nt know what he is talking about.

Networking XP and ME is pretty straightforward, for the most basic network all you need is 2 NIC cards and a length of crossover cable to connect them together.

spikeychris 19:03 07 Nov 2003

As said in the click here :o)

TECHNODIMWIT 19:16 07 Nov 2003

saved for referance, thanks

roy 19:37 07 Nov 2003

Confirming what Legolas says above as my network is exactly that. I don't have cable; have a usb adsl modem on main (win XP) machine. Broadband is shared with full bandwidth available on each pc. Email is usually downloaded on main machine but can just as easily be downloaded on my Win ME machine. Setting up my network was straightforward. Go for it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?