Network - wired XP PC and wireless Vista laptop

ArcAngel67 22:23 03 Jan 2009

Can anyone please help. I am running the lounge PC (XP) wired to a wireless router and also a laptop wirelessly through the same router. Both can connect to the internet (no problems there). Now trying to network them so that I can share files between them but can't figure out what to do. Are they compatible? Also have another XP PC that is connected wirelessly to the same router - again no issues with connecting to the internet, would like to network this one as well, if possible.

ambra4 22:45 03 Jan 2009

Networking XP to XP is not too much of a problem

Windows XP Simple File Sharing

click here

Networking XP to Vista can be a real pain in the “A”

Enabling Simple File Sharing in Windows Vista

click here

Connecting to Wireless Networks with Windows Vista

click here

Strawballs 22:52 03 Jan 2009

Yes they are I have 3 XP (2 wired and 1 wireless) and a wireless Vista laptop that I am using.

Make sure all of the machines and printers that you want to network are switched on then on the XP machine run the network wizard (not the wireless one) and when finished click on just end wizard no need to make a disc. Then on the Vista machine in control panel click on the network and sharing icon and choose conect to a network, just make sure that they are both in the same workgroup name, XP Pro will default to "WORKGROUP" and XP Home to "MSHOME" you can change it but make sure the XP and Vista machines are the same

ArcAngel67 23:11 03 Jan 2009

Thanks Ambra4, I think I have shared my Vista folders, but now have to wait for DH and step-son to get off the Xbox before I can do the XP end (using TV as monitor for both). I get the impression that this is where it might get a bit tricky, although problem I had before was running the wizard when I already had a network for the XP PC to connect to (hopefully it will be easier with the know-how!)

Thanks again

ArcAngel67 23:15 03 Jan 2009

Many thanks, Strawballs.

I have already set up the network on the Vista one, do I just call the network and workgroup the same when running the XP wizard (will it recognise the network that is already set up?)

Strawballs 23:23 03 Jan 2009

Mine all work fine together just named them all the same.

ArcAngel67 23:36 03 Jan 2009

I have managed to get the boys off the Xbox for long enough for us to network the files we wanted to. Not really too sure how we got there, as instead of setting the XP to the Vista network we seem to have done it in reverse, still it doesn't matter we are now sharing files.

Many thanks for both your replies, I'm sure setting up the other PC will be quite simple now.

Kind regards

Janine

ambra4 23:42 03 Jan 2009

Glad to be of help

Enjoy

Strawballs 00:26 04 Jan 2009

Pleased it's working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?