network vista/xp orange?? help plz

jonostar 17:19 19 May 2008

hi need big help.. thanks in advance.
have an orange wireless router , a laptop running xp and a pc with vista on it, can i network them all up wirelessly, what do i need??, any help massively thankful for , very new to this

janene..x

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 19 May 2008

1. does laptop have a wireless card?
2 does PC have a wireless card?

jonostar 18:11 19 May 2008

laptop got card

pc got dongle.. netgear ..

woodchip 18:31 19 May 2008

All you need is go into Control Panel on XP computer and run Network Wizard, Follow instructions to the letter. Its easy peasy

woodchip 18:32 19 May 2008

PS both computers need to be able to see the router.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 19 May 2008

are they both connected to the router for internet use?

Tried running Network connection wizard on one machine make the "disk" to put connections on second machine.?

1. Make sure you can see each other, for example ping.
2. Make sure you enable file sharing.
3. Make sure they are in the same workgroup.
4. Make sure no firewall/security software block sharing.
5. It is easy and safe to use Public sharing.
6. Create the same username and password on all shared computers.
7. You may try to disable Password protection sharing.
8. Disable the IPv6 from the property page of the NIC.
9. Make sure you have assigned permissions in the Security tab in the Properties of the shared folder.
10. Reset Network Security LAN Manager Authentication Level from the default setting (NTLMv2 only) to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated.
11. It is not recommended to leave the blank password for the remote access.
12. Check your Anti-virus/Internet security settings they also prevent file sharing.
12. If you run Network Map on a Vista, computers that are running XP do not appear on the network diagram, you may want to download the Windows XP package (LLTD): click here

This link may also help.
click here(en-us).asp

woodchip 18:39 19 May 2008

To add to the above make sure everything that you want to share like printers and all computers are turned on while running the wizard, and setting computers up

jonostar 19:33 19 May 2008

many many thanks to all for clear and concise instructions; though i may be back for further.... . but thanks.. the dongle i have is a netgear wg111v2. will this work in the pc vista .
will start as instructed though. i am using for correspondance with yourselves a sepearate internet enabled computer so i can read any further replys by yourselves

many thanks

j.xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?