Network upgrade need advice what product to go for

D.G,E 21:11 26 Jan 2007

My ICT co ordinator at my work place st edmunds rc primary wants all window based systems to connect wirelessely though the internet.

The computer systems are RM base units and i was thinking of a usb flash drive or a pci adapter.

But the connection on the case to the pci slot is smaller than a normal desktop its a long metal strip but in this case it has to be small to fit in the machine.

Strawballs 23:05 26 Jan 2007

If the "windows based systems" are XP and have usb you could use USB wirless adapters click here if you get the ones with the extension you can place the adapter away from the base unit and the electrical interference it gives out for a better signal.

mgmcc 10:08 27 Jan 2007

If you are going to connect a large number of computers "wirelessly", you will probably need several "Wireless Access Points" for them to connect to. With a single "Wireless Router", its available bandwidth of 54Mbps (for standard 802.11g networking hardware) will be *SHARED* between the computers connected to it. With enough computers going online simultaneously, the wireless network could come to a standstill.

The Brigadier 18:20 27 Jan 2007

You may sadly be forced to have the work done by RM if they have the contract to supply your local LEA with IT equipment.

D.G,E 22:52 27 Jan 2007

Thanks and the school as 3 access points and for some reasion i ve been asked to do this RM's prices are too high for the school so they want a cheaper option and looks like they will get it thanks for the link Strawballs.

We have 3 windows xp base units so far and the other 9 are win98 but these are going to be replaced and not going on a wireless network.

And to mgmcc the school is runing 3 access points and we have 12 laptops sharing the access points so i might need to get a router for year 3 and 4 because there signal is not that strong thanks.

The Brigadier 14:11 28 Jan 2007

Suggest you look at your contract with RM it may only allow you to buy new kit from them! I say this as a friend did some work recently for a school that have RM pc's and this was a probem that came up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone