Network tester with wand. How to use?

  Flopper 10:41 18 Aug 2014

I am not sure if this is the correct forum. I may be wrong but didn't PCAdvisor once have a networking forum? I have been asked to buy a network (cabling) tester and one with a wand/probe. I have already got a cable tester which connects an RJ45 at either end and checks for breaks, for want of a better word but I am not sure what the wand is for or how to use it. Is it to check if a port on a patch panel is live by the unit making a noise when the probe is in contact with the termination point on the patch panel or is there more to it than that? For example I might want to identify a long cable that starts at the patch panel but I have no idea which cable at the other end of the run is that particular one. Also can anybody recommend any kit?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone