Network switch and wifi query

DarylPickthall 21:18 03 May 2015

Hi.

I have BT fibre broadband and needed to move my home hub to a better position in the house. So I've ended up with the following configuration:

• cable enters the house behind the TV and goes into the bt box
  • network cable exits box and goes into a 5 way switch
  • long network cable runs to other side of room into bt home hub
  • wifi now covers whole house and works great
  • other cables exit the switch and feed other devices, eg Apple TV
  • these other devices complain that they don't have Internet

So can I not use the switch to distribute the 'internet signal' to devices, one of which is the home hub? Or do I have to run a second cable back from the home hub to the switch?

Any help gratefully received!

rtp8™ 00:03 04 May 2015

If I understand you correctly, you connected a switch to the BT OpenReach modem(bt box) then ran a long ethernet cable to the HomeHub from the switch, finally attached other devices to the switch, right?

Your other devices need DHCP of the HomeHub in order to assign them local IP addresses, you have 2 options:

1.<< Or do I have to run a second cable back from the home hub to the switch? >> Yes, you can run a cable from the bt box to the HomeHub then another one from the HomeHub back to the switch.

2.or forget the switch & get a wireless access point put the HomeHub back to where it was & connect it to the bt box then connect other devices to it. Using the existing long cable to connect the new wireless access point (which replaces of the HomeHub in the new position).

If you need a wireless switch with extra LAN ports then try out this one (I've one of these which works very well with dual bands)

Secret-Squirrel 16:03 04 May 2015

"cable enters the house behind the TV and goes into the bt box..........network cable exits box and goes into a 5 way switch"

You haven't said which version Home Hub you've got but it sounds like you've got your connections wrong. You need to run an Ethernet cable from the BT Openreach modem to the red Ethernet port on the Home hub. The network switch then connects to any of the Home Hub's yellow Ethernet ports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017