Network Switch

dms05 09:59 20 Feb 2006

I have an Actiontec Gateway with 1 PCMCIA slot, 1 RJ45 socket and 1 USB socket. The PCMCIA connection has provided good WiFi but now has a problem (the PC Card is OK as it works 100% in my laptop).

I currently have my Dell desktop connected to the Actiontec USB, the PCMCIA provides WiFi local to the Gateway and I use the RJ45 for another AP at the end of a 30m cable.

Can I use a Network Switch connected to the one RJ45 on the Actiontec and then connect the desktop, 30m remote AP and a spare AP I have (to replace the PCMCIA WiFi) or will all the IP info be a problem?

mgmcc 22:58 20 Feb 2006

Connecting a network switch to a router with a single ethernet LAN port should be fine as a solution to connecting additional devices, whether computers or Wireless Access Points.

mgmcc 23:02 20 Feb 2006

...come to think of it, I have a network print server which is also a 4-port network switch and my two laptops are plugged into that as is, occasionally, a Wireless Access Point. In effect, I am already doing what you are talking about, because the print server / switch is plugged into a LAN port in the router.

dms05 06:23 21 Feb 2006

Many thanks mgmcc. I was assuming it would be OK but the first thing I learnt about networking was 'never assume anything'. I've ordered a Network Switch to try. They aren't expensive click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?