network signal interference

trialsriding 10:48 02 May 2006

Hi all, i've had my wireless network set up for a year or so now. It has all been working fine up until recently, the signal can sometimes be very bad i.e. all is fine then i keep getting disconnected every minute or so and have to wait for it to get a good signal strength. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? There is no new electrical equipment in the house that could be causing interference. I'm using a 102.11g netgear router and pci networkcard. Thanks

trialsriding 11:23 02 May 2006

Sorry meant 802.11g

mgmcc 11:30 02 May 2006

Has a neighbour set up a wireless network that might be interfering with your signal?

Have you moved either your router or wireless adapter so that either is now close to any large metal objects, in particular central heating radiators?

Aargh 15:00 02 May 2006

If your software allows it, use a different channel. Most networks default to 11, and this channel also gets used by things like cordless phones.

Try another channel and see if it improves. Your wifi card software should let you scan to see what other visible networks are in yor area - pick a channel that no one else is using.

You could also just try unplugging/re plugging your wireless cards - could just be a loose connection.

keewaa 22:24 02 May 2006

If it is a neighbour's network causing the problem, log into your router and enable SSID broadcast and see if this cures it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?