Network Setup Wizard

Taf @ aww 11:20 25 Oct 2003

I have BT Broadband and fancied connnecting two computers to it. I bought US Robotics Wireless PCI Adapter Cards and the two computers share files without a problem. The trouble is connecting to the internet. I have tried to run the Network Setup Wizard on both machines. It seems to work fine on the one without the modem but just hangs when trying to configure the main computer. I have tried a few things including changing out the modem and updated drivers. Does anyone out there have any advice. Thanks in advance.

I have the same probs on mine with NTL broadband,I can share files and play each other,but as soon as I try to share the broadband things go pearshaped,even when I plug my laptop in by itself it hangs the cable box up,as my desktop is usually the main comp.Never used to.I been told to get a router,but these are at least £60 and I only need 2 computers linked.

recap 14:06 25 Oct 2003

If you have a firewall installed disable this before going through the network wizard. Remember to enable it after the set-up.

SEASHANTY 14:26 25 Oct 2003

Cable Routers £60?? The Linksys BEFSR41 4 port with switch cable/dsl router which I use to network just two PC's of mine on NTL BB 600k costs just £41-12 (inc vat) from Dabs click here

Taf @ aww 16:50 25 Oct 2003

I did have a firewall and I did turn it off before trying. Thanks anyway but any other ideas?

A_World_Maker 19:01 25 Oct 2003

From my experience with this problem, you need to manually, in XP home, make a bridge between the Local Area Connection and the 1394 Connection.
Start, Settings, Control Panel.... Network Connections.
Select one of the connections, hold down the ctrl key and select the other, right hand click, select 'Bridge Connections'. A few moments later another icon should appear indicating the bridge has been made, a few moments later the red cross on the new icon, should dissapear, the bridge is now made. Reboot and you should now be able to control the connection from both machines. Check your firewall allows CIS (Connection Internet Sharing) I use Zonealarm Pro which is suitable for networked and connection sharing computers and its cheap. Hope this helps?

Taf @ aww 17:19 28 Oct 2003

I eventually did a clean install of XP on the internet machine and all is working fine now. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?