Network Setup

spex75 10:18 19 Apr 2008

Hi,
Wondering if anyone could help me get my head round this.

My friend has a desktop and two laptops at home. The desktop is hardwired to the router and the laptops connect to the router wirelessly.

Everything works fine with the internet on all 3 computers, but he claims that print jobs sent by the laptops don't print out anymore.

The desktop is wired to the printer and the printer is shared. The printer isn't a network printer and is not wireless either. What I'm trying to work out is how it worked in the first place and how to help them get it working again.

Is it possible to send prints jobs from the laptops to the router and the router then sends it to the desktop for printing?

Many thanks,
Baffled Willie

Eric10 11:06 19 Apr 2008

Any and all communications between the computers or printer go through the router. You just send print jobs to the shared printer and the router sorts it out automatically.

click here for printer sharing in XP.
click here for help for Vista.

If you need more help let us know the operating system on each of your computers.

spex75 12:13 19 Apr 2008

I can't quite get my head round this. I'm now trying it on my laptop and PC cause its piqued my curiosity.

I have the PC connected to the router and the printer. I have my laptop connected to the router wirelessly.

The laptop and PC aren't networked together so I can't see whats on each one. I thought the computers had to be networked together to share printers and I didn't think you could do that through a router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?