Network settings not being held on shutdown.

Trackrat 23:24 16 Aug 2007

My friend is on NTL cable (Virgin media).
He has just had a new computer, he connected it all up and it would not connect to the Internet, so I told him to reboot his cable modem (which is integral in the cable tv box) and it would still not connect.
I also tried ipconfig /release and renew, tried a ping which returned 4 sent 4 received.I have checked the firewall settings and no problem with them.
After many calls to Virgin media they finally got it to connect, but every time he shuts down his computer it loses the network settings.
So he then has to go into the control panel / network connections / right click the local area connection / click disable / then click enable, then status and support to see what the IP address is, and has to do this several times to get the right IP address.
He has sent an e-mail to the technical support but it could be three days before he gets a reply. , I have exhausted my knowledge on this subject.
Does anyone know how to make the settings hold after shutdown.

mgmcc 08:07 18 Aug 2007

If the new PC is running Vista, make sure that TCP/IP v6 has been disabled (unticked) in the Properties of the Local Area Connection. Don't alter TCP/IP v4. It is just possible that TCP/IP v6 is causing problems when trying to get the addresses by DHCP from the Cable Modem. There aren't really any settings to save when shutting down the PC because it requests addresses from the DHCP server when it has booted.

Trackrat 12:28 18 Aug 2007

mgmcc, I forgot to mention the OS is XP home, apologies for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?