Network settings

arnie30 19:12 14 Sep 2008

Can anyone help?
Should I select public or private when sharing a wireless router, I dont seem to understand description.
I have three laptops sharing one wireless router,two are connected wireless the third is connected wired via the wireless router.
Do I only select public or private if I'm to take my laptop out and about.
Also if I try to connect my laptop to another one (again using the same router) I get a message asking me for username and password. the thing is I have not set any such username or passwords on either of the pc's ( did not have this problem on my old machine running xp) by the way I'm using vista.
Any help would be great.

woodchip 19:22 14 Sep 2008

The user Name and Password is what you got from your ISP to Connect to the Net. However your Router User Name and Password is in the Router Setup page. To access this you have to open a blank page in you Browser Preferably the one connected by Ethernet Cable. In the Address Bar you should put the Address for your Router As its wireless this may get you in
Type in the box at the top

192.168.1.1 then press enter, if you see a page asking for password type what you see by the side of it like admin in lower case

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone