Network Requirements

sil_ver 22:20 08 Dec 2006

To save me trawling thru' the myriad networking topics. I have a PC running XP SP2 and a laptop running the same. I have connected my PC to the ADSL wireless Modem/Router via Ethernet cable and it works fine. My laptop is able to use the internet connection wirelessly albeit at a slower rate. I want my laptop and PC to 'talk' to each other to be able to file etc. share. My question: Do I need any other hardware such as a USB dongle or PCI network card for this to happen and if not where do I go from here?

mgmcc 22:42 08 Dec 2006

If both computers have internet access via the router, then they are already networked and no additional hardware is necessary.

Both computers should be in the same Workgroup. Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared", by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option; at least one folder should be shared in each computer. Any Firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

If you then go into "My Network Places" set the left pane to show the folder tree and expand the entry for "My Network Places", you should see an icon for both computers and be able to access files in the remote PC.

sil_ver 22:57 08 Dec 2006

Thanks for that mgmcc, I'll see what I can do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?