Network query

Gaz_dc 19:30 18 Jul 2004

First, some background. I have two PCs linked with a crossover cable. According to both, they are connected at a speed of 100Mbps. I have disabled both firewalls. The desktop runs XP Home, the laptop W2K. I can ping either PC from the other.

The problem is that I can't access the desktop from the laptop. I have the MyDocs folder on both shared and can access the relevant files on the laptop from the desktop, but when I try to do it the other way round I get an error saying

'\\gaz is not accessible. There are no logon servers available to service the logon request.'

(gaz being my desktop). What does this mean? How can I access the desktops files from the laptop?

Podsville 21:19 18 Jul 2004

I have the same sort of situation with my two pc's I may be wrong but I think its got something to do with whether or not you gave permission to share and access to the desktop when singned on as administrator or not. This I think is how XP works but I may be totaly wrong on this one.
Good luck
P

mpg1965 11:34 19 Jul 2004

ive just done the same and found i when mapping the shared drive i had to type in and not use the browse for as this way it could not be found.

mpg1965 11:34 19 Jul 2004

ive just done the same and found when mapping the shared drive i had to type in and not use the browse for as this way it could not be found.

Rigga 12:10 19 Jul 2004

Do you use passwords in your windows logins?

If not.. then it may be this problem, click here where blank passwords are not allowed access to network resources within XP.

R.

Gaz_dc 20:59 20 Jul 2004

Thank you all for the help and advice. I will try these suggestions when I get a mo and let you know how I get on...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?