Network problems- Can't share files or printer

Faser 15:43 16 Oct 2005

Help, despite being quite experienced I just cannot get files & printer to share on my home network. The problems stared when I rebuilt and upgraded my PC and laptop requiring reloading windows os.

Details are: - Laptop Win XPsp2 & belkin wireless network card. PC Win XPsp2 Prof. hardwired to a Belkin wireless DSL router. (printer connected to PC via usb)

I set up a home network and Internet connection to both PCs without problem. Despite being able to see both PCs in my network places and the laptop can see the printer I cannot access share enabled files. Also the laptop can send a document to print but nothing happens and I have to delete the print file.

I tried disabling all firewalls including the router firewall (switched off cable modem first!). I have enabled printer and file sharing and tried enabling Net Bios over TCP/IP in TCP/IP settings. Also I have tried to setting up a new windows network with a new name all to no avail!

howard63 16:38 16 Oct 2005

make sure the guest account is on and put at least one file in shared documents on each pc.

keef66 13:28 17 Oct 2005

Simple File Sharing - XP Home uses it by default. XP Pro does not. On the XP Pro machine (You don`t have the option on XP Home)In My Computer Tools>Folder Options> on the view Tab underneath Advanced Settings - scroll down to the last entry "use simple file sharing" and make sure it is ticked.

Taff36 13:50 17 Oct 2005

And I borrowed it from th FE !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone