Network problem

Legolas 15:35 24 Feb 2003

I have two computers networked together sharing printer and Internet capabilities. I got my broadband connection today and although I had no problem connecting to the Internet from my client machine with my 56k dial up I can no longer connect from the client maching with my newly installed cable modem although I can connect no problem from the host machine the cable modem is connected to the host maching via a USB connection. Any suggestions as to why this is?

AndySD 15:46 24 Feb 2003

What operating systems?

Is intRenet connection sharing enabled on the new modem?

Legolas 15:52 24 Feb 2003

Sorry I should know by now to include my OS.I am running XP on my host and Win98 on the client maching.

What is intRenet and how do you enable it? My modem is the standard cable modem NTL are supplying now, not sure of the actual make or model.

Legolas 15:54 24 Feb 2003

maching? machine :-{)

jazzypop 15:57 24 Feb 2003

click here for all things NTL, click here for further info

AndySD 16:24 24 Feb 2003

Go Start choose My Network choose Network Connections Right Click on the Cable Modem and choose Properties.... Make sure Share Internet Connection is ticked.

Please excuse my spelling as its a bad day.

Legolas 16:31 24 Feb 2003

Thanks for all the replies, jazzypop the second site you gave the link for gave me the answer I had forgot to enable the cable modem to share the connection I have just enabled it and all is well. Thanks AndySD I had just finished doing what you outlined in your last post, thanks again all.

Rogerfredo 18:50 24 Feb 2003

How do you click on the cable modem?
No modem is shown on my system, (external cable modem), or do you mean the NIC needs sharing?

Legolas 19:00 24 Feb 2003

go to start/settings/network connections/click on the connection that corresponds to your modem then click properties/advanced and tick the boxes to enable the connection to be shared on a network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?