Network problem

nilefish 09:08 01 Mar 2010

My desktop is conecetd to the network via Netgear 834 router and I connected another desktop wirelesly to the network , the connection keeps dropping ..I reset the rourter to the factory reset and change the filter every things work , but when I use the home phone the yellow line on the router start blinking. I'm not sure what to do because I change the phone as well but that did not finish the problem , Can I use a modem and cross over cable instate of the router?

Thanks

chub_tor 19:04 01 Mar 2010

Try changing the ADSL filter on the line feeding your telephone that could be the cause of the drop out when you use the phone.

ame 11:03 02 Mar 2010

Keep router far away from any cordless phone base station. Change channel in wireless router settings in case there is interference.

nilefish 11:11 02 Mar 2010

how do I change the channel?

ame 14:22 02 Mar 2010

If like other Belkin routers, login to router admin page in your browser by typing 192.168.2.1 into web address. Click login and submit unless you've changed from the default username and password (none) - and you should see Channel and SSID menu item on left hand side. Click on it and select a different channel. Apply changes then logout of page.

mikesuther 15:47 02 Mar 2010

you share your phone and router using one micro filter but do you have any other items connected to the phone line for example if you have a sky box there is a telephone input and that input needs a filter. litterally I have foour phone points around the house that are hard wired I needed to put a filter on each line once this is done it stops interferance and will stop problem even though the sky box is not a phone it uses a built in modem to download updates and scheduleing informaiton. this is also true if the system is a cable box and a cable network, you can purchase additional filters from ebay for a couple of pounds or if you prefer Argos keep in stock.

nilefish 10:38 04 Mar 2010

Thanks much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017