Network problem.

albag999 14:33 16 May 2006

Hi,
I am having a problem linking my networks together. I am trying it on a USB flash drive.

First I went on set up a wireless network for a home or small office. (Worked fine)

Second I went through the wizard step by step for the USB.

Third. I transfered the data onto the USB to the laptop. (Worked Fine).

Fourth. Once I did that i took the USB out of the laptop and put it in the computer downstairs. When i tried clicking Next it weren't picking up the USB.

This wouldn't allow me to continue the process. Is there anyone that could tell me why. Or tell me how to do it Properly.

Thanks Alex

Forum Editor 23:59 16 May 2006

you say that you're having a problem "linking my networks together." What exactly do you mean by that?

A USB flash drive can't be used to link anything together - it's a file storage device. You should be able to plug the drive into any Windows XP machine and see it recognised and allocated a drive letter - are you saying that this doesn't happen?

mgmcc 07:30 17 May 2006

<<< I am having a problem linking my networks together >>>

Do you mean you are having a problem linking your computers in a single network? If so, the first thing you need to do is to configure your Wireless Router and this is done by connecting one of your computers to it using the ethernet cable that should have been supplied with it. There may also have been a CD supplied to run a wizard to help you set it up but, if you know what you are doing, it is better to configure it manually by entering its IP address into a web browser. You need to configure it (a) to connect to your ISP and (b) to set up the "wireless" settings.

Once you have completed that, you should be able to run the Wireless Network Adapter's software in each PC and "Connect" to the wireless network. In other words, you run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

I know that the wizard in Windows suggests the use of a USB flash drive, or similar, to transfer settings from the first PC you set up to the others in the network, but this is quite unnecessary. I also think the wizard is confusing (too easy to select the wrong option) and it is better to set up the network without it, but this obviously requires a knowledge of the basics of networking.

After you have configured the router, the default settings in the various computers should let you connect to it without setting anything additional up, although for wireless connections, you need to go through the "Connecting" procedure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?