Network problem

starman316 21:01 22 Nov 2003

even though i can share the internet connection with my main machine downstairs I cannot SEE the main machine on my second machine in Network Neighbourhood (win98) yet i can see this machine from the main machine whys that?? i want to be able to access files from the other machine yet i cannot see it

temporarily disable your firewall to see if that is the problem.

(IF you are using zone-alarm you will find that once the connection has been made you can switch it back on and the connection will still be usable).

you may want to give a little info as to the other machine and what proceedures you have observed to set up your network in order to get more useful help.

starman316 22:15 22 Nov 2003

I am currently using no firewall, altho I should reinstall it, I am using 2 benq pci network cards with crossover cable to each machine, i can use the internet from my 2ND manchine using the 1st machines modem (adsl) but i cannot see the 1ST machine in the network neighbourhood list of computers, even tho i can use internet. I want to be able to access files on the 1st machine and i cant do it from my 2nd machine, I have assigned the first pc 192.168.0.1 and second machine 192.168.0.2 both with subnet 255.255.255.0 so I should be able to view the files both machines are win98

silliw 22:38 22 Nov 2003

We are assuming that you have set the shared resources that you can access accross your network. Have you set aech drive to share? this is different to the internet connection sharing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone