Network Problem

DiddyBoy 19:37 24 Oct 2003

First of all the specs...

Local Network using a Netgear DS104 4 post hub connected to Asus INET 800 ISDN router.

2 PC connected to network.

My PC - on board Nvidia Lan network card.
AMD xp2600+ - XP home
1 gig PC2700 DDR
40 gig h/d cdrw.... blah blah

2ND PC - Netgear fa3311 fast Ethernet adapter
PIII 1 gig - XP home
512 MB PC133 ram
40 gig hd/ cd....... blah blah.....

Now down to the problem.... :-/

I've just set up the home network (with some help - cheers dad) and can connect to the net with, I thought, no problems.. that is until I went to send an e-mail..

It seems that I can't use the SMTP at all... e-mail program will send to hotmail (http) with no problems..

Then the second problem was noted, I went to the windows update site... sailing along, again no problems, until I clicked the "Scan for updates" link.... the browser froze and failed to scan..

According to the Microsoft troubleshooter, it appears that I may have a problem with SSL (?)

Now I know next to nothing about networks and even less about SSL...

I've e-mailed Microsoft for some help, but I don't expect to hear back from then before christmas.... next year...

So I've coming running back here looking for a miracle worker out there who can tell me where to start and what I need to do...

Just a footnote - I can connect to the site/e-mail no problems when I connect using the USB direct to BT's Digital access box.. it's only when using the network to connect that these problems occur....

HELP>>>

Thanks in advance...

lozparry 21:43 24 Oct 2003

If using Outlook express, go to tools-accounts mail-highight default connection and then check its properties, click on servers and check that the outgoing mail is smtp.(your isp)etc.
As for the SSL settings, go to tools in IE-Internet options-Advanced and scroll down to secruity check that the SSL2 and SSL 3 are ticked.try this, there is something in the network settings but I'm having problems with that myself!!

DiddyBoy 07:09 25 Oct 2003

Thanks for the reply, but both those settings are as you suggested..

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated..

DiddyBoy 08:51 25 Oct 2003

I've managed to get around the windows update problem by altering the proxy settings, but this hasn't sorted out the e-mail problem.. I still can't send e-mails...

And yes, Outlook express is set to use the same connection as Internet Explorer...

DiddyBoy 09:31 25 Oct 2003

Ignore the above posting.. it seems that it was only a temporary fix.. as I can no longer access the update site...

I still get the general error code of 0x800A138F and specific from the updae log file..

------------------------------------

2003-10-25 09:29:22 08:29:22 Error IUENGINE Querying software update catalog from click here (Error 0x800C0008)

------------------------------------

Any assistance greatly appreciated....

recap 13:33 25 Oct 2003

click here it may help?

SEASHANTY 14:16 25 Oct 2003

Also cannot get windows to scan for updates and get the same error code as yourself. Not resolved. No trouble with e-mail though obtained from NTL server via Mozilla browser. See my comments to alcudia about halfway down this thread click here

DiddyBoy 16:59 25 Oct 2003

Told you I was a novice to these things... can you explain how to do that please?

I've read the manual, and I've tried what I think is right but it still won't work...

DiddyBoy 16:50 30 Oct 2003

It seems there was a fault? in my router... it was closing ports that should be open and despite my best efforts.. I couldn;t get it to open them..

Replaced the router with a new one, and everything is now working 100%

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?