Network privacy

panyards 15:45 09 Feb 2007

I have a home network based around a Netgear DG834N router. I have installed an Access point in a holiday cottage, for internet access, and this is connected via a cable to a LAN output on the router.
How can I allow internet access for visitors but prevent them accessing my own computer/files via the network. I want to be able to share files within my network.

PalaeoBill 21:25 09 Feb 2007

The first line of defence is the user accounts on the PC's that you want to share files on.

click here

Then you can restrict access to each of your PC's via their software firewall, such that they will only allow access to the TCP/IP addresses of your other PC's.

If your using the windows XP firewall:
click here

You will need to set up fixed IP addresses on each of your own PC's and only use DHCP from the router for your holiday cottage guests.

PalaeoBill 21:28 09 Feb 2007

Extra security step. To prevent anyone using the IP address of one of your PC's; in your router configuration tie the TCP/IP address of each of your PC's to the MAC address of their network card or wireless card.

panyards 22:09 09 Feb 2007

Thanks that's great but I have McAfee Internet Security loaded so the Windows Firewall is turned off. Would you suggest I turn it back on and disable the McAfee Firewall???

PalaeoBill 22:24 09 Feb 2007

Noooo... step away from the disable button :-)

The XP firewall is better than nothing but is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Keep the McAfee one. Use the 'Trusted IP Address' tab and add the IP addresses of your PC's.

If you need destructions just google 'McAfee Firewall Trusted IP'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?