Network-Printer Sharing

Greybeard52 15:12 13 May 2007

Sorry to be a pain, but I have read all the printer sharing answers to no avail.

I have a Windows XP desktop PC connected to the internet via a wired connection to a Dlink wireless ADSL router. I share this internet connection with a Windows Vista Toshiba Laptop with no problems.

I have a HP deskjet 5940 connected to the desktop via a USB cable. I would like to share this printer with the laptop. Is this possible with the setup I have?
If so, how do I do it?

Thanks
Greybeard52

ArrGee 15:32 13 May 2007

Do you have the printer drivers installed on the laptop?

Have you set the printer as shared on the desktop?

Click on Start - Printers and Faxes, then right click on your printer and select Sharing.

ArrGee 15:34 13 May 2007

Also, look at your DLink documentation as you maybe able to plug the printer directly into your router, create the correct settings for the router to print, so the desktop need not be switched on for the laptop to be able to print.

Strawballs 15:53 13 May 2007

Go onto the desktop and go to start > printers and faxes and right click on the printer icon and choose sharing and set it up for sharing, then go to the laptop and go to the printer and faxes and click on add printer > network printer choose browse for printer and browse your network and choose the one you want.

If you are only shareing internet connection and not have a network set up then you will have to run the network wizard (not wireless wizard) from control panel on both machines first.

Greybeard52 18:29 13 May 2007

Thanks for the quick response, its much appreciated!

ArrGee
1. The printer drivers are not installed on the laptop but I will install them.
I have set the printer as shared on the Desktop.

Unfortunately I cannot connect the printer direct to the router. The printer only has a USB connection and there are no USB connections on the router, only ethernet connections.

Srawballs
See above for sharing. When I try to add a network printer on the laptop it cannot find any!

I have run the network wizard without success, my laptop cannot see the desktop and vice versa.

I have tried setting up an ad-hoc network by using a USB wireless adaptor on the desktop and although both machines can connect to this ad-hoc network, I still cannot 'see' either computer or printer.

I apologise for being stupid because I am sure there is something simple I am not doing!

Ray5776 18:39 13 May 2007

Just a suggestion but try posting this in the network forum, I had a similar thing and found the answer there. If I could remember I would tell you but it was a year or so back.

ray

Woolwell 19:16 13 May 2007

Found this helpful - it's for XP.

click here

This also a good guide
click here

Strawballs 22:45 13 May 2007

You won't be able to connect it straight to the router without a print server and if the 2 machines can't see each other across the network then you will not be able to find the printer when trying to add printer, it could be a problem with a firewall blocking

woodchip 22:51 13 May 2007

The way you are using it is as I have it on mine. You do have to have the Desktop turned on for it to work. You can get a Ethernet printer sharing hardware to plug the printer in. you will not then need to have both comps switched on to use it

woodchip 22:59 13 May 2007

Printer Severs hear for USB printer click here

woodchip 23:19 13 May 2007

This one click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017