network printer problem

wobbler 13:51 14 Jul 2006

I am trying to set up a network printer using windows XP. The network works finwe and file and printer sharing are both enabled. However when I try and "add a printer" to the remote computer I get as far as the browse for a printer box, which lists the printer, but when I click next I am asked for a password!! Never seen this before, has anyone else?

wobbler 14:44 14 Jul 2006

refresh

vinnyT 16:31 15 Jul 2006

<BUMP>

VoG II 16:32 15 Jul 2006

Have you tried just leaving the password box blank?

wobbler 20:48 15 Jul 2006

yep tried that and still same problem

woodchip 20:53 15 Jul 2006

Have you tried loading the printer driver on the comp you are trying to print from? I have a Samsung Laser that would not work until I did the above. You also have to choose the correct printer in drop down list when you ckoose to print

woodchip 20:55 15 Jul 2006

The computer also as to be switched on that has the printer connected to it. and you can turn monitor off

wobbler 21:13 15 Jul 2006

the host bcomp is on and the printer is on. On the laptop using the add printer wizard I get as far as entire network/windows network/workgroup/host comp/printer, so I can see it from the laptop, but at this point , when I select the printer I am prompted for a password.

ade.h 21:40 15 Jul 2006

Why start a new thread in a different forum just because your first thread on this subject is not yet resolved? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?