Network Printer Going Offline

Toyboy58 12:38 26 Apr 2010

I have two PCs on my home network, one home PC, one works PC, and two network printers - HP LaserJet and Brother Printer/Scanner (DCP-6690CW). Works PC can print to both; home PC prints to HP all the time, but to the DCP only when my internet connection is disabled (on home PC) or disconnected (router to modem cable removed). Home PC runs Windows XP MCE 2004; works PC runs Windows XP Pro. Both are fully updated (automatic updates). Also run Norton 360 on home PC; this is not affecting the issue, however.
I haven't included hardware details as it doesn't come across as a hardware problem. Details can be provided if this would help with analysis.
Apologies if this subject has appeared before. This is a big site!

Toyboy58 13:22 26 Apr 2010

Should have mentioned that this is only a recent problem. It started about three weeks ago. Before that, there wasn't a problem printing from or scanning to either PC. Also, I can 'force' the home PC to print to the DCP by fixing the IP adress (in place of the Node name used normally), but this doesn't give me back scanning over the network.

Toyboy58 13:03 29 Apr 2010

OK, you guys, what did you do? The thing has resumed working again just as suddenly as it stopped! I'll mark this as resolved and if it happens again, I'll place a new thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017