network a printer

the spook 20:03 11 Jan 2006

Hi
I have a Netgear DG834GT modem router with 2 desktop computers hard wired to it and a laptop on the wireless. I would like to network my Epson R300 printer to the Router as well, can you tell me what I would need and how to do it.
thanks

mgmcc 21:25 11 Jan 2006

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here;en-us;141839

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< I would like to network my Epson R300 printer to the Router as well >>>

The most common method of sharing a printer in a home network is to have it connected to a "host" PC and "shared". However, if you need to have access to it independently from any particular "host" PC, this can be done using a "Network Print Server".

mgmcc 21:27 11 Jan 2006

URL should be:

h t t p : / /
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

the spook 21:55 11 Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply, would this mean that I would have to have the client computer on when I wanted to print from any of the other computers, if so this is what I wanted to try and avoid. What I would like is to be able to plug the printer into the router so I could print with just one computer being on, or is this not possible.

the spook 21:57 11 Jan 2006

Sorry just read your full reply. Ive had a long day.

the spook 08:41 13 Jan 2006

Does anyone know if the netgear PS121 print server works ok with the Epson R300 printer, if not what print server can you recommend.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017