Network Permissions problem in XP

melvyn 13:00 07 Mar 2011

Hi,

I have two linked machines both running XP, and one of them (machine A) has an external hard drive attached for back-up.

I have booted up machine A in safe mode and set the permissions to "everyone can do everything on the external drive" (H). Machine B sees drive H no problem.

When I reboot machine A into normal mode Machine B is unable to access drive H. It is as though the permissions have not been remembered.

Any ideas

Thanks in anticipation.

I am Spartacus 14:14 07 Mar 2011

Are the login credentials the same on each PC i.e. username and password?

I seem to recall I had this problem a while ago and setting the same login on each PC resolved it.

I am Spartacus 14:15 07 Mar 2011

Forgot to add. Check that they belong to the same Workgroup as well.

melvyn 14:18 07 Mar 2011

Both machines belong to the same workgroup and can see each others internal drives with no problem.

The log in is different for each machine. I'll try seeting them both the same this evening and see if that cures the problem.

Thanks for the idea

melvyn 23:18 07 Mar 2011

I changed the log in info to be the same on both machines, however the problem still exists.

recap 14:07 08 Mar 2011

Turn the firewall off and see if that allows sharing.

ashdav 15:14 08 Mar 2011

In My Computer right click on the drive and select Share or it might be under Properties.
Sorry I haven't got XP anymore so it's from memory.

melvyn 18:05 08 Mar 2011

I have tried turning the firewall off - no benefit.

Sharing was already set - again no positive result

Thanks for the ideas.

I have a separate hard drive within my machine (Drive F), and the other machine can see that OK - it's just the external hard drive that it can't

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?