Network PC's 2/ 3 see PC1, PC1 cannot see PC2,PC3

compumac 15:23 09 Mar 2009

I have 3 PC’s networked through a router. All able to access the Internet. Both PC2 and PC3 can see PC1 in Windows Explorer and files can be moved between all three.
PC 1 cannot see the other two in Windows Explorer but by using Windows Search Companion and look for computers, PC 1 can see the other two and I have subsequently therefore created short cuts on the desktop of PC1 to access 2 & 3.
The question is – Why cannot Windows Explorer see PC2 & PC3?

compumac 18:47 09 Mar 2009

F5

compumac 22:20 09 Mar 2009

F5 bump

compumac 08:25 10 Mar 2009

Nobody?

compumac 21:40 10 Mar 2009

Nobody at all?
Will call this resolved even though it is not.

Roadgiant 23:40 10 Mar 2009

Couple of suggestions, first of all try posting in the networking forum on this site, rather than in this helproom.
You don't mention what op systems you are using XP or Vista.
I have just successfully set up my home network with 3 PCs so can fully understand the frustrations you are having, my home network has 2 Xp machines(1 laptop, 1 PC) and 1 Vista PC, all connecting to the internet via a router and all are able to see each other and print on the same printer which is connected to the Vista Pc .
If you are using different op systems make sure they are all using the same workgroup name (Vista uses WORKGROUP whilst XP uses MSHOME)

Make sure that the drives/folders on the relevant machines are set to be shared (Vista is a bit trickier than XP to share and it took me a while to get it all running correctly).

Hope this helps you get it sorted, took me a couple of days (and many restarts!) to finally get everything right, but now it all works well.
RG

compumac 08:36 11 Mar 2009

Roadgiant
Thanks for reply but the system has been working fine for a few years now and has only just displayed the problem.
I take your point and will post on the networking forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone